Broadband Problems resolved and speed improvements.
Call David 07729037667
Connectaphone can improve your B/B speed. I've regularly seen improvements from 3 X to 20 X faster !.
Have your broad band checked out professionally.
Have your broad band checked out professionally.
Broadband Speed Checker
Trouble shooting Broadband faults (self help)
Checking your broadband at the test socket
Is your BroadBand better here ? The speed may improve straight away however leave it over night for the exchange to "retrain" its self. Test the speed before and after using the speed tester. If its better, its likely your other sockets / wiring are causing the problem.
What if I don't have a BT test socket ?
You may have the old type (see Master sockets ) with no removable lower faceplate. If you do not have a BT test socket I can convert you to the new NTE5 shown above.
The service providers responsibility ends at the test socket. Save your self an unnecessary call out fee by establishing if the fault is :-
1 - In your house ( your responsibility )
2 - External ( your service providers responsibility )
To do this you need to find your master socket then, locate the test socket hidden behind the removable lower half of the master socket.
Simply plugging in the front of the Master socket will not do ! Make sure you remove the face plate and there by properly disconnect your telephone wiring.
Typical speeds may be -
Fast area 30 - 79 Mbps
Medium 6 - 30 Mbps
Slow area 3 - 6 Mbps
If you get less than 3Mb/s download then there's definitely something wrong !
Fibre To The Premisses FTTP
150 - 900 Mbps
Broadband speed can vary hour to hour, day to day.
"up to" 40 Mb/s. This means if you live next door to the telephone exchange and your wiring is perfect your kids are not on youtube and or online gaming, America is asleep and there is a favourable wind, you may get 39.75 Mb/s .
Virgin Media works on a different phone network, speeds range from
50 - 500 Mb .
Interesting links and Facts.
- Where and when super fast Broadband will be available. Bt Openreach post code checker.
- Most people are happy with 10 - 15 Mb/s
- 12 - 40 Mb/s is fairly typical
- The fastest line I have come across is 790 mbps (BT Fibre To The Premises)
- The slowest lines I come across nowadays are 4mbps
Top 10 causes of slow or intermittent broad band.
- Poor wiring in your house. - If your BB is better at the test socket you will need to have your wiring checked out . Make sure you have filters on all your phone sky box's alarms etc. If you have more than 2 sockets i would advise a Filtered plate.
- Distance from the exchange. - If you live 8 miles form the exchange you may get less then 1 Meg on a 8 Meg line or not work at all . This is where improving your wiring can make the most difference. Switching to Fibre B/B can really improve speed as it cuts out the first few miles to the green box. Fibre all the way into your house is now the best available - Fibre To The Premisses (FTTP) 150 - 900Mbps, Or try Broadband via a dish from companies like WZ3
- No telephone line . see Telephone faults
- Too many tabs open on you phone / computer iPad - It can lock up your B/B as soon as you walk in range of your WiFi. (Customer record so far 550 tabs open) clear your history every day.
- Tapered Broadband - Rather than put your monthly bill UP they will put your speed DOWN. Have you heard of SHRINK FLATION ! Mars bars getting smaller ? SHRINK FLATION !
- Noisy line. - If you have a noise fault eg - crackling will drastically reduce your speed. -see Telephone faults
- Poor wireless connection - see FAQs wireless faults
- Other devices are hogging the band width.
- Poor router (see FAQs wireless faults ) - Generally worth replacing if they are over 4 years old as technology moves on and wifi standards change.
- In all cases again hassle your service provider for the latest kit.
- Poor dongle.I just don't like dongles. If the computer has got a dongle, its either a very old laptop ( get a new one) or it should be properly plugged in via Ethernet yellow lead.
- You may only be on a low cost contract. Check your contract if you have been with the same service provider for a long time (2 years) they tend to drop your speed rather that put your bill up (shrinkflation). 5 Mb/s used to be the norm now it's 30 - 80 Mb/s.Call your service provider and complain, threaten to change SP unless they up your speed, they’ll usually give you the latest fastest deal and a new router. This usually ends up cheaper !
- Its not your broadband its your computer - Computers get bunged up with cookies, malware and other programs hogging resources. If other none internet programs are slow, e.g. Microsoft word, or it takes forever to boot up, it's not your Broadband. Clear your history one a day.
Why does my internet drop out when the phone rings ?
Usually because you do not have a filter on one of your phones. Just get another filter and connect it between your phone and your wall socket. Follow your wire back from the phone to the main socket . It should pass through one and only one filter.
FTTP Fibre To The Premises
FTTP this is looking like it's going to be the new normal. These lines achieve up to 900mbs !
Your land line phone plugs into the TEL1 socket or the green socket on the back of your BT hub.
If you need help with connecting it to your existing phone network just give me a call as it may need disconnecting from the old BT line.
BT will not run internal CAT6 cabling from the fibre termination to where you want your hub. I can do this for you.
Ideal for rural + remote communities
Starlink is ideally suited for areas of the globe where connectivity has typically been a challenge. Unbounded by traditional ground infrastructure, Starlink can deliver high-speed broadband internet to locations where access has been unreliable or completely unavailable.
Speeds 70 - 150 Mbps
Cost £90 / month